New for 2019
This visitor exhibition tells the story of Connolly from his birth in Edinburgh in 1868 to his death in Dublin in 1916. It explores his role as a pioneer of the early trade union movement and his extraordinary travels throughout Britain and America, and his organising closer to home in Belfast and Dublin – all on behalf of the working man and woman, their rights, working conditions and pay.
Historic Royal Palaces are investing over £16m into an ambitious programme of capital projects and associated activities that will open Hillsborough Castle’s site to the widest possible audience, conserving and re-presenting the heritage and inviting visitors to explore its many stories. The project is due for completion in April 2019.
Opened in the summer of 2019, the Belfast Gin and Spirits School is set in the heart of Belfast and offers a range of immersive gin experiences to suit all groups and budgets. Alongside Ian, the Master Distiller and Soda, the Beverage Director, guests learn the history of gin from pre-prohibition to the modern day, and see first hand the stages and processes that go into creating this much loved tipple.
To celebrate 10 years of filming in Northern Ireland, Tourism Ireland created six giant, stained glass windows depicting some of the most iconic scenes from Game of Thrones. The windows were unveiled to coincide with the final season of the show with each one representing a different house or legacy; including the Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons, Targaryens, White Walkers and the Iron Throne. The designs include the most talked-about scenes from seasons one to seven based on fans’ online searches. Find the Glass of Thrones installations leading from Belfast City Hall to Titanic Slipways, next to Titanic Studios. Take a stroll and rediscover the most iconic moments from the saga immortalised in stained glass.
Crumlin Road Gaol has launched a new immersive political experience that includes a tour of the gaol followed by a walking tour of the Falls Road and Shankill Estate, conducted by two former prisoners. The tour concludes with a hearty bowl of stew and a few invigorating beverages at Cuffs Bar & Grill.
Following extensive development, historic Mount Stewart estate is due to unveil its impressive additions in Spring 2019. Adding to its current 7 miles of waymarked walking trails, a further 3.5 miles are due to open to the public in May, situated in the North-West of Mount Stewart Demesne.
Ever since becoming a bustling port in the 1600s, the area known as the Cathedral Quarter has been the beating heart of Belfast's cultural life - but pubs, clubs and cafes are only one part of its story. On this tour you'll discover the richness of the areas culture: from Literature and Sculpture, to Punk and Graffiti, plus you'll hear how Religion and Politics conspired to make Belfast's Cathedral Quarter one of the world's top destinations.
Explore the stunningly beautiful Ards Peninsula & Strangford Lough where Brigid will guide you through the timeless beauty and tranquillity of this ancient landscape, revealing knowledge and hidden gems normally unseen by tourists. Discover ancient monastic sites, follow lesser-known paths and marvel at the splendid flora & fauna.
Recently Opened Hotels
- Maldron Hotel Belfast City, Brunswick Street - Owned by Dalata. 237 bedrooms. Projected '4 star' rating. Opened in March 2018.
- AC Hotel by Marriott, Donegall Quay - Owned by Interstate. 188 bedrooms. Projected '4 star' rating. Opened in April 2018.
- Grand Central, Bedford Street - Owned by Hastings Hotels. 300 bedrooms. Projected '4 star' rating. Opened in June 2018.
- Hampton By Hilton, Hope Street - Owned by Andras House. 178 bedrooms. Projected '3 star' rating. Opened in July 2018.
- EasyHotel, Howard Street - Owned by David Crowe & Kevin Baird. 81 bedrooms. Projected '3 star' rating. Opened in August 2018.
- The Flint Hotel, Howard Street - Owned by Ben and Peter Ringland. 55 bedrooms. Opened in June 2018.
- Dream Pods, Bank Square - Owned by DSD. This hotel will have 19 ensuite bedrooms. Projected '3 star' rating. Opened July 2019
- The Premier Inn, Bangor - This 85 bedroom hotel opened in July 2019.
- Holiday Inn Express, University Street - Owned by InterContinental Hotels. 60 additional bedrooms (available now) - bringing the total number to 171. '3 star' rating.
- Ten Square, Donegall Square South - Owned by Loughview Leisure. 109 additional rooms (available now) - bringing total number to 131. '4 star' rating.
- Crowne Plaza Belfast, Milltown Road - Owned by Andras House. 16 additional rooms (available now) - bringing total to 136, more due in 2019. '4 star' rating.
- Fitzwilliam, Great Victoria Street - Owned by Hotel Partners. 30 additional bedrooms (with 16 available in August 2018) - bringing the total number to 130. '5 star' rating.
- Jurys Inn, Great Victoria Street - Owned by Jurys Inn Group. 80 additional bedrooms (expected November) - bringing the total number to 270. '3 star' rating.
Hotels Recently Refurbished
- La Mon Hotel & Country Club major refurbishment of Conference & Events Centre, foyers, events suits and 20 bedrooms
- Dunadry Hotel & Gardens completed a £5million refurbishment and as a result has recently been awarded 4 star status from Tourism NI